The deadline to submit nominations for UI Recognition Awards for 2014 is fast approaching on March 1st. Don’t miss this opportunity to recognize your colleagues for significant contributions to Unemployment Insurance.
Each year we accept nominations for awards to individuals who have had a profound impact on the Unemployment Insurance system as researchers, policy leaders and contributors to the integrity of the program. UWC accepts nominations for consideration and announces the awards at the annual National Unemployment Insurance Issues conference. The conference is hosted by the National Foundation for Unemployment Compensation and Workers’ Compensation and will be held this year June 18 – 20, 2014 at the Savannah Marriott Riverfront Hotel in Savanna, Georgia. Registration for the conference is available on line at http://admin.uwcstrategy.org/custom/conference_registration.asp and a link to the special $98 hotel conference rate is also available at http://www.marriott.com. A brochure reviewing the program agenda is attached.
Nominations may be made by letter identifying the nominator and the nominee with narrative explaining why the individual is deserving of recognition. A description of each of our national awards and the list of past award recipients is provided below for reference.
Please take a moment to think about those who have contributed significantly and send your nomination. We are accepting nominations through March 1st.
Send nominations to
Douglas J. Holmes
UWC – Strategic Services on Unemployment & Workers’ Compensation
National Foundation for Unemployment Compensation and Workers’ Compensation
910 17th Street, NW, Suite 1070
Washington, DC 20006
The four awards are described below:
- The UWC Outstanding Contribution Award: This award is given to a UWC member or researcher for outstanding contributions to UWC or the National Foundation for Unemployment Compensation and Workers’ Compensation.
- The J. Eldred Hill, Jr., Award: This award is named after J. Eldred Hill, Jr., former president of UWC (then UBA), and is given to an individual for excellence in the public policy arena in service to the employer community.
- The UI Integrity Award: This award is given to an individual who has demonstrated commitment to preserving the integrity of the unemployment system.
- The Father Becker Award: This award is named for the late Father Joseph Becker, a pioneer and scholar in the development of the Unemployment Insurance system. The award is given to an individual who has made major contributions to unemployment insurance research.
Past award recipients include:
Father Becker Award
- 2007 Ron Wilus (USDOL Supervisor of Actuarial and Financial Services)
- 2005 Wayne Vroman (The Urban Institute)
UWC Outstanding Contribution Award
- 2013 John Sharkey (SIDES Director and US DOL Official)
- 2012 Chuck Howarth,(Retired VP, California Association of Hospitals & Health Systems)
- 2008 Hal Meyer (UI Manager, Georgia Pacific and ADP)
- 2008 Larry Temple (Executive Director, Texas Workforce Commission)
- 2007 Oregon Employer Council
- 2004 Norm Raffaell (UI Manager, Weyerhaeuser)
- 2003 George Bradford and John Davidson (VP of USX and UI Manager/Legal Counsel for Chrysler)
J. Eldred Hill, Jr., Award
- 2011 Cheryl Atkinson (US DOL and NASWA)
- 2010 Chuck Yarbrough (HR Manager, Tyson)
- 2009 Dale Tuvey (Executive Director, Washington State Hospital UI)
- 2009 Michael Thurmond (Director, Georgia Employment Security Agency)
- 2008 Lori Roberts (TALX)
- 2007 Ray Gonzalez (HR Manager, Boeing)
- 2006 Pete Isberg (ADP)
- 2006 Edward O. Roberts (Indiana Manufacturers Association)
UI Integrity Award
- 2013 Julia Hearthway (Secretary, Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry)
- 2013 North Carolina State Representative Julia Howard
- 2013 North Carolina State Senator Bob Rucho
- 2012 Matt Weidinger, (House Ways and Means, Human Resources Subcommittee Staff Director)
- 2012 Steve Arwood, (Michigan UI Director)
- 2011 Kristen Cox (Director, Utah Workforce Agency)
- 2011 Mark Perlberg (Oasis Outplacement)
- 2010 Larry Temple (Texas Workforce Commission)
- 2009 Governor Haley Barbour (Governor of Mississippi)
- 2009 Jerry Hildebrand (USDOL staff who Supervised UI legislative Reviews)
- 2008 Matt Harvill & Carl Camden (UWC Chair and VP for UI for Kelly Services; CEO of Kelly Services)
- 2007 Phyllis Kennedy, James Webb, & Steve Horton (Alabama Director and Senior Deputies of Alabama Workforce Agency)
- 2006 Kathryn A. Moore (Chief of Integrity for State of Washington UI agency)